Friday, December 9, 2011

Another Passed-Up Best Seller

In case anyone is wondering why I decided to enter the world of publishing my own work, here's just one reason...

An excerpt-- "A dozen publishers and more than 100 literary agents rejected it. They called it 'difficult to sell...'"

Yeah, except-- it has sold more than 400,000 copies, and landed on the best-seller lists.

But we writers are supposed to keep submitting to these "pros" who "know the business." Except that they don't have any idea what their business is, as evidenced by the example above-- which is one of many, many stories like it.

"Book publishers are losing ground to independent authors and watching their powerful status as literary gatekeepers wither."

Ever wonder why? Because they run a lottery system, and the most common thing they buy is the equivalent of fast food-- cheap, greasy, same-old slush for the mass market. Very often, they don't know a good book, even when it bites them in the ass.

R.I.P. dumbass gatekeepers who are bad at their job-- they will not be missed.

We writers who can adapt will continue to get our work to readers, without the gatekeeper interference. Viva la revolution!

I'm doing my part- I now have 4 of my stories up on Smashwords, as part of my Insane Writing Challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment