Thursday, May 4, 2023

Interview with Author Jason Walcutt

Hello All- I'm still recovering from the big conference Malice Domestic. I'll have a big writeup with pictures and links later.

Today, though (May the Fourth be with you), we have an interview with Jason Walcutt: 

who has released Gaia Reborn, the second in his series. 



Q. Tell us about your writing and publishing journey since your first book.

A. After the exhilaration of publishing my debut book, I was motivated to continue writing the subsequent books in the series. But then I had some kids . . . who would ever thunk that writing a novel while also working full-time and taking care of two kids would be challenging?

Needless to say, things got delayed a bit. I actually finished Gaia Reborn two years ago, but decided that because of certain global pandemics, it was best to hold off on releasing it.


Q. How did Covid affect your writing?

A. Strange as it may sound, Covid had a positive effect on my writing. Amidst the overwhelming stream of negative news, immersing myself in fictional worlds through writing provided a much-needed escape. Additionally, the pandemic provided me with the opportunity to join a writers' group and dedicate ample time towards finishing Gaia Reborn during the lockdown.


Q. Was the second one harder or easier than the first? You did like 17 drafts of the first.

A. Gaia Reborn was WAAYYYYY harder to write than Gaia Hunted. It’s structured very differently than the first book, and it took me a long time to figure out what the story was actually about. But ultimately, with the help and feedback of a lot of smart people, I was able to pull it all together. And, it took me only 13 drafts to complete, so I’m seeing a positive progression.


Q. Have your editors changed? Are they pointing out different things than they used to, so has your writing evolved?

A. The editors were the same, but I had some new beta-readers who really helped to fix some tricky parts. I hope that my writing is constantly evolving. Like any art, I think there is a natural change and evolution the longer you do it.


Q. So how did this sequel come to be? Was it envisioned from the start, or did it evolve organically out of the first book? Please tell us a bit about the origin.

A. After the first book, I knew Mattie (the main character) had to somehow learn to control her powers. It seemed logical that going to some type of school was the next step for her. I have always yearned to write a book based in an academic environment. Perhaps, this desire stemmed from my admiration for the Harry Potter series.


Q. Did you start with the germ of an idea and start writing to see where it went, or did you map a good deal out in your head (or even outline) before crafting?

A. For me, if I don’t outline then I get lost in the woods. Like, I will literally lose my mind and get lost in the woods. My original outline was about five pages long. Although it underwent modifications throughout the writing process, the core essence of the story remains intact.


Q. What do you feel is the main theme(s)? Is it the same as in the first book?

A. Forgiveness, the importance of friendship, resilience in the face of adversity, empathy, and probably a whole lot of other good stuff.  


Q. Why do you feel this is important, and what would you want a reader to take away from reading this book?

A. At the end of the book, I want the reader to have enjoyed the experience. If they take away any important messages, that’s just hot fudge sauce on the sundae.


Q. What makes a good book or engaging story?

A. When you mix well-crafted characters, natural prose, mystery and unknown, a solid plot, well, that right there is a recipe for a great story.


Q. Is storytelling mostly entertainment, or does it serve other functions? Do you have particular goals other than telling a good story?

A. Indeed, storytelling is a form of entertainment, yet each story conveys a message. Stories possess the capacity to instruct, caution, and transform us, even without our conscious awareness. Personally, I love reading Caps for Sale to my children. Is it merely a tale about a peddler who dozes off and loses his caps? Or does it serve as a parable warning against idleness? Perhaps, it's an allegory centered on the conflict between humankind and nature? One thing we can confidently conclude is that those damn monkeys can never be trusted.


Q. Have your goals changed?

A. I just try to stay consistent. Write as much as I can each day and try to get better.


Q. If a writer came to you for advice, how would you help?

A. Tell them to consider a different art form. And if I fail at that, tell them to write and read as much as they can.


Q. You had audio done for the first- will you get the same narrator?

A. Of course!


Q. What's the next step in your writing world?

A. The third book in the Ascended Prophecies series, GAIA LOST, is scheduled to be released in 2024. The adventure continues!


Q. Tell us a fun fact about yourself.

A. I’ve turned my front yard into an orchard. So far, I’ve planted fifteen fruit trees including apples, pears, plums, peaches, cherries and figs.


Q. Any other information you'd like to impart?

A. I have a free novelette available when you sign up for my newsletter. You can get it here. https://www.jasonwalcutt.com/contact.html

---

Web page: http://www.jrwalcutt.com/

Where to buy: https://books2read.com/gaiareborn



No comments:

Post a Comment