The Cape Cod Writer's Center is an organization out on Cape Cod that works to help writers by holding events and learning classes. An important way for writers to learn and grow. Each year the organization hosts a conference, with guest speakers and instructors.
This year, I was fortunate to be part of it, as I taught two classes, one on Mystery writing, and one on becoming a successful writer, both Indie and Traditional.
Just getting to the Cape in Summer can be an adventure. Luckily, I drove out on a weekday, and got across the notorious bridge in good time. Interesting sand sculpture along the way:
I stopped for lunch at Captain Parker's (highly recommended, even if not cheap) for their famous clam chowder (which made me a convert after a lifetime of not liking it), and this massive plate of tasty fish 'n chips:
Thus fortified, I made my way to the excellent Margaritaville Resort in Hyannis. Since it is a Jimmy Buffett inspired theme, here's a sculpture that illustrates a moment from the theme song (yes, a giant, blown-out flip-flop):
Spacious, comfy rooms, good food and service (many thanks to John, a roving food manager), all so good that we could concentrate on learning and sharing advice. And live music all the time, including Michael Paul Brennan and his singing partner, who belted out some favorites for the crowd.
And the conference sponsored book sales, so we could sample writing from other attendees.
I also attended the Introductory Screenwriting class of Claude Kerwen, as I'll be working on adapting a few of my novels into screenplays. Excellent instructor, and had such helpful tips I could even use them for improving my soon-to-be-released novel, Odie and Penny, a modern take on Odysseus returning home. This Odie, though, is no mythic hero, as he's been in prison for twenty years.
And my first teaching class was in learning how to craft a good mystery. Sadly, in both my classes, a few people had to drop out due to health issues. I still later sent them the information I was presenting, so they wouldn't miss out. Here's who was left by the end, all eager to learn, and many had a mystery novel already in progress.
And my other class on writing success also had folks who could not make it for health reasons. Writing is a tough enough game when you're healthy, and dealing with obstacles of body maintenance makes it even worse. As a good example of lasting, Gail here in the pic below (on the left), had her 80th birthday that weekend! She's been a stalwart presence at these conferences over the years.
There were nightly readings of works from both instructors and students, so they could showcase what they've learned and applied. Some former students have now become award-winning authors!
Note the margarita-glass lighting fixture overhead.
We had a roving photographer in Callie, a noted area journalist.
And a panel of mystery writers from Sisters in Crime put together a lunchtime program of making a mystery on the spot from audience suggestions.
Sadly, I didn't get a chance to heckle, due to scheduling conflicts. 😏
Below are mystery and mischief makers Barbara Eppich Struna, Sharon Healy-Yang, and Nicole Asselin.
Chatted with a bunch of new-to-me writers, some of who were also instructors, and had great talks. People like thriller author Jeffrey James Higgins, literary agent Tina Schwartz, Donna Zucker, and Josh Boardman. Nice to meet y'all.
Many thanks to the organizers and volunteers who made this conference a smashing success.
Highly recommended yearly conference for those who want to improve their craft and success rate.
So great to meet you Dale! You were one of the most memorable people I met at Cape Cod Writer's Conference. Thanks for being such a fun person! You're so talented. Congrats on book #40! ~ Tina Schwartz
ReplyDelete