Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Winner!

Well, I won a Kindle at a company raffle last week, and rather than keep it, I'm looking to sell it. So call me a Luddite, or call me in need of cash, but there it is.

Yes, they're cool, but I'm Old School and prefer books. You can tuck a paperback in your pocket. If you drop a book, you pick it up, unbroken. You can see instantly how far along you are, and how much is left. And I can borrow most books from the (free) library, rather than paying.

And I stare at a screen all day at work. A few pages of a book are always nice, and do I really need another electronic gizmo in my life?

Geez, I had a simple cell phone, and paid a hundred bucks a year for us to make calls. Now the whole family has a phone that takes pictures and pays pretty tunes, and I pay over $1200 a year. Progress... People at my gym spend their whole time yakking on cellphones-- and loudly, while I'm trying to tune them out. Maybe an Ipod? Wait, no!

Our TV has FOUR remotes, and I still can't turn the damn thing on after taking out a DVD. My wife presses a series of buttons, switching from one to another, and somehow I'm supposed to keep track.

Guess I'm just a cranky old man, but I do remember Isaac Asimov's "magic cassette". After describing all the wonders of this device, it was revealed to be-- a book!
I love them, I read them, I write them. I may be the last generation who does. Apres moi, les Twitterers. None of whom will have anything important to say that will last down the centuries. Sad, so sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment