Saturday, May 25, 2013

I Dreamed I Saw Joe Hill Last Night

Well, better than that, I got to see him in person today. The writer of Heart-Shaped Box, Horns, and NOS4A2 was signing books at the local Barnes & Noble.

He read from NOS4A2, his latest. Good reading, with lots of vocal engagement and facial gestures. From the sample he read, it's a good, scary book.

Turns out he's wicked funny, too, as he took questions from the audience. He spoke of his family life, of growing up in a literary family and how that helped shape him.

While signings books, he was incredibly gracious and outgoing, posing for pictures and giving each person a moment of connection. He signed mine with a positive encouragement to keep up with my writing. So I gave him a copy of Halls of Horror. Maybe he'll find a story or two he likes. And I think he really liked the cover.

Here he is with my buds, writer Vlad Vaslyn and his lovely wife Jordanna.

Others in his family write as well. I got to see his dad talk back in December, another good event.

And I met a few other cool people as well. Great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment