Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Meeting the Public

Well, today I embark on a new venture-- instead of waiting for people to wander into a bookstore and try to sell them books, I'm bringing the bookstore to them.

I'll putting up a table at the big Chelmsford 4th of July celebration, and will be hawking my wares to passersby.

Don't know what to expect, whether it will be worth it or not, but I'm willing to try something new-- this is the new age of publishing, and trying new things gives a writer better odds of success.

Part of doing your own publicity is getting the word out that you have books people can buy and read. Many writers hate this part, meeting the public and asking them to fork over some hard-earned cash.

Sure, we'd rather be writing. In fact, I started a new story this morning, got over 1000 words on it, and the end in sight. Would love to finish it and send it off-- but have to prepare for the Big Event. There is so much preparation involved.

It's the Kobayashi Maru scenario-- writing time versus time spent promoting and selling. Never enough time for either.

Trouble on the horizon-- the most recent weather update calls for probable rain tomorrow. What chance do paper books have in the rain? So we may not be able to get out at all.
Wah.
The Weather Gods sure don't like my writing ventures. Last January, we had a bad snowstorm on the day of my book signing to launch A Fall From Grace. Killed the traffic for that, and now we miss the crowds for the actual 4th of July.
But no matter the obstacle, I keep plugging away. Where's this overnight success I keep hearing about?

*****

And for all you writers-- here's a must-read book: Self-Editing for Fiction Writers, by Renni Browne and Dave King.

No comments:

Post a Comment