Monday, May 28, 2012

Happy Memorial Day, Working Holiday

Here's hoping you have a happy and safe holiday.

For many, this is a day of remembrance. I've been thinking of the past year. For it was just about a year ago that my first novel A Memory of Grief got published, first as an ebook, then as a print version.

One year. So much has happened, so much change in that short time. Now I spend most of my free time (this is what's left after my family and my full-time job) writing-- or promoting my writing. For example, this 3-day weekend, I've been working the whole time, while many others hang out and enjoy cookouts with friends and family.

This kind of dedication (obsession) gets a lot done, however. My second novel, A Fall From Grace, has been out for a few months, with the third, A Shadow on the Wall, coming out a few months from now.
Additionally, I've got a number of short story collections out as published books. Different genres, too. I paid attention to the pro writers that told us how to do this.

When I'm not writing, I'm trying to get reviews, dealing with bookstores and publishers, doing research, and contacting other writers. It's a rollercoaster ride, so ya gotta love what you're doing. It's how you go pro as a writer, by continuing to write and always doing more. Tough gig, definitely not for sissies.

But being published sure beats the stuffing out of where I was a year ago. I finally achieved my lifelong dream.

How much has your life changed in the past year?

No comments:

Post a Comment