Sunday, May 6, 2012

Write and Price to Value

Here's an Indie writer complaining about the low price of e-books. He's bemoaning the fact that some big-selling authors like John Locke and Amanda Hocking sell their e-books for 99 cents, and that drives the market expectations down, and doggone it, he wants more money for his book.

To which I say, "Dude, you're an Indie writer-- so charge what your books are worth!"

I mean, duh.

Sure, they sell a lot of books at that price. A lot of people like cheap crap. People stuff their e-readers with free and cheap e-books. I've got a bunch of cheap e-books, too. Haven't read them-- they're way down on the to-be-read list.

You know why? Because at that price, I expect most of them to be cheap crap-- which means they're very low priority. And I'll toss them aside, without finishing, and without a qualm if they don't measure up. I may never even get to them. Many are a waste of time.

In the Indie world, you write what you want to write, and sell at the price you want. If you decide your work isn't worth more than a cheap plastic comb, that's your choice. Me, I set my prices higher, because I write quality work that's worth more. I've spent years honing my craft, polishing the work, giving it value. And I sure as hell ain't gonna give it away for almost nothing.

Do you see good restaurants giving away nice meals at fast-food prices? I don't eat at fast-food joints-- I want a better experience and quality. Same with books-- I want something of value for the time I spend reading it.

I even bought one of those John Locke e-books at the 99 cent price, to see if he was worth even that piddly amount. You know what? He isn't. I didn't even finish the book, and won't read another by him.

So, fellow writer, put on your big-boy pants and write something of value. And put it up for sale at the price it's worth. And quityerbitchin. I don't care what crap is selling for, because I'm not writing crap. I want readers who are willing to exchange in fair trade, value for value. And I'm getting them, little by little. Fewer readers, maybe-- but they'll remember mine and want more.

No comments:

Post a Comment